...I suspect I may be the luckiest kid in the world

Monday, April 27, 2009

Switzerland, Safe? Pfft.

Whoever said Switzerland was safe obviously did not have all their facts straight.
Anyone interested in one of my worst nightmares?
Making the Top 5 is:
  • Waking up in the middle of the night to find someone in my room who does not belong there.
I'm not sure what it's called when your worst nightmare becomes a reality but this is what happened on Saturday night.

I woke up to the sound of my front door handle. I was instantly awake and instantly I remembered that I had forgotten to lock and alarm my door.
Normally, it is always locked but because Spring has been present, the day before I had left my door open for a while to let the sunshine in. And I had forgotten to lock it when I closed it.
This thought came crashing on me and I was then quite on edge.
I was in the process of trying to talk myself out of being silly and making things up when I saw a man's silhouette go past the outside of my window, away from the direction of my door.
Phew.
And a few moments later come back.
And then my door opened and he started to come in.
I totally freaked out and jumped out of bed and yelled at him to get out!
I'm not sure what I was planning to do if he didn't do this, or if he didn't understand English, but thankfully he left.
And I locked the door. And stood frozen by it in shock for maybe 15 minutes with the keys clenched in my hand.
I couldn't believe that had just happened. That someone had tried to enter my room in the middle of the night.
Naturally I could not go back to sleep and turned the TV on just so that there was some noise in the room other than silence with me jumping at every sound.
About an hour later the thought came that maybe I should have called the Police? I decided against calling then, as I had left it a bit long. But the next morning when I talked to Ma and Pa about it, we called the Police then.
It took a good part of the morning with the whole Police process.
Firstly he tried to tell me it might have been perhaps an unwelcome friend or someone who had been around before. He was winking at me when he said this. Or maybe he had something in his eye?
I squished this notion.
I am thankful that just the previous week I had got my village registration card in the mail. This shows that I am legally allowed to be residing in the country.
They kick you out without it.
So the whole thing was put down as attempted entry/burglary in their records.
And I will never again forget to lock and alarm my door...
And I think I will buy a baseball bat.
Just for practice.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I forget to lock mine sometimes too, and once realized I'd slept with it open a few inches. I'm trying to remember not to do that...could be dangerous! Glad you woke up in time to tell your guest what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guy winked?!? It MUST HAVE BEEN HIM that night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylie! Come back to Australia where its safe young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the aluminium baseball bat myself. It makes a very satisfying 'dong' noise, and if you hit the right spot, an even more satisfying 'snap'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You yelled at him??? In English??

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally freaky!! both the weird man and the winking police officer.

    I like the yellow background. very cheery. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you told the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrifying experience! I'm glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete