...I suspect I may be the luckiest kid in the world

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Guided Tour Gone Wrong

Dear Tourist Guide Registration Office,

I would like your suitability checklist reviewed.
Or perhaps you just let one slip through the crack.

Recently, I was in Germany, in an unidentified city, which will remain nameless until I blog about in the future.
I went on a tour.
The tour was fine. The city is beautiful.

Unfortunately a droning irritating voice followed me throughout the whole tour.
Or perhaps I followed it. Yet to be confirmed as the tour guide.
I seemed to be attached to it by an invisible thread, also known as a tour.
Do not be alarmed, I was not alone. I was fully surrounded by others attached by an invisible thread, also known as a tour group. We held each other up for support.

I tried to follow along at the safest distance possible - ie 1 km, but then he would just shout at me to hurry. To be honest, I was embarrassed to be seen with him in broad daylight. Nighttime, perhaps. With the cover of darkness.

I knew things were a bit strange from the beginning, at the first attraction. Here, he spent no less than 5 minutes laughing at the people around us taking photos of the aforementioned attraction. Whilst instructing us, his obedient tour group, to NOT take photos. He loudly proclaimed that this was perhaps the most disappointing tourist attraction in Europe.
I liked it?

Now, I like jokes. I make too many of them. Funniness is funny. I like to laugh. BUT IF I'M NOT LAUGHING, STOP TELLING YOUR JOKES. Curiosity definitely killed the cat and your jokes killed your entire tour group.

The guide behind the droning voice with the unfunny jokes hissed at me. Seriously, it was a hiss. He also told the girl beside me that he didn't like her. Twice. Tour guides have to at least pretend they like the people in their group, don't they?

And he kept lamenting to us, NOT his friends or even sympathetic listeners, about his relationship issues. Over and over again. I think I unfortunately know more about his past love lives that I do of the city of M*****.

And he kept mentioning his tips. Every time I heard him mention his tips, I mentally deducted 1€ from my tip. 10€ - 100 x his unsubtle tip remarks = you do the maths. I'll keep the end result to myself, but let's just say he now owes me money.
I wanted to hand him a piece of paper, on which I'd written, Don't give up your day job, because that would be a tip he could use, but I think this is his day job!


The tour was fine. The city is beautiful. But there's a heartbroken, unfunny, hissing tour guide out there. And he owes me money.



Much love,
Kylie

8 comments:

  1. Funniness is funny? I've never considered this possibilty. I shall have to ponder this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, you make me laugh Kylie...What a weirdo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. kylie. why did the plane crash? because an avacado was flying it. see i can do it to. ssssss im hissing at myself, you are rubbing off on me. go away!!!!!
    Em x
    ps i love your blog
    pss and you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie - perhaps you should have shown more sympathy to the poor man. You know, taken him by the arm and gently (ever so gently) propelled him off a precipice. You could then have taken over the tour group, proceeding to entertain the group with your damn funny self!! I'm with anonymous - I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! This is hilarious. Helen is right - you should have given that tour guide the heave-ho.

    Reminds me of a small joke: "My Name is Cliff; drop over sometime." heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. *Someone* must have had a rough night before he went to work.

    ReplyDelete